12201990 - News Article - Steve Sfouris flees to Greece - Gambler was just indicted



Steve Sfouris flees to Greece
Gambler was just indicted
Post Tribune
December 20, 1990
http://infoweb.newsbank.com.proxy.portagelibrary.info/resources/doc/nb/news/108530D3693FD28B?p=AWNB
Steve Sfouris, the longtime operator of a high-stakes dice game in Lake County, has fled to Greece to avoid federal authorities, the FBI said Wednesday.

Sfouris, 55, of 1106 Camellia Drive, Munster, was one of 15 defendants charged in a 29-count indictment unveiled Tuesday by U.S. Attorney James G. Richmond.

The defendants, including high-ranking Chicago boss Dominick "Tootsie" Palermo, are members of the crime syndicate or known gamblers. The charges involve racketeering and gambling connected with collection of a "street tax" from Northwest Indiana gambling operations.

"He is in Greece; that's what we have heard," Robert Pertuso, special agent in charge of the Gary FBI office, said of Sfouris.

Pertuso said the U.S. Department of Justice would seek to have Sfouris returned to this country, but added, "If you are of Greek ancestry, it is very difficult to extradite."

Sfouris has been a fugitive since June when he failed to respond to a federal court subpoena.

Peter "Cadillac Pete" Petros, 56, a longtime Northwest Indiana resident now living in Chicago, remained a fugitive Wednesday after the FBI just missed taking him into custody.

Petros is a longtime area gambler who allegedly was collecting street tax on illegal lottery and video poker operations for the crime syndicate.

"We tracked him to a private residence in LaPorte County," Pertuso said. ''We were about an hour behind him this morning."

Pertuso said agents were pursuing leads Wednesday night that Petros fled to Chicago.

In other developments Wednesday, it was learned that the indictment includes five, not three, members of the Sam Nuzzo Sr. family.

Besides Nuzzo, the indictment charges his two sons, Sam Nuzzo Jr. and Arthur Nuzzo, and his two daughters, Sandra T. Mynes and Jennifer Kaufman. All five of the Nuzzos are Merrillville residents.

Authorities allege that the male Nuzzos ran the sports betting operation in Lake County. The two daughters allegedly took bets by telephone.

Sfouris has a long history of vice operations in Gary. He ran several taverns that fronted for houses of prostitution in the 1960s and later operated strip joints.

Sfouris' barbotte operation - a Greek dice game - grossed as much as $100,000 a night. As much as 50 percent of the take was paid as a street tax to the crime syndicate, authorities said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael A. Thill, who will prosecute the case, said the government will seek pre-trial detention of Palermo and Nicholas ''Nicky" Guzzino, Palermo's top aide, during a Friday morning hearing. The two are being held at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Chicago.

Others under indictment are Bernard J. "Snooky" Morgano of Valparaiso, Sam "Frog" Glorioso of Gary, Anthony J. "Potatoes" Ottomanelli of Portage, and Ned and Yolande Pujo of Portage.

Anthony Leone of Valparaiso is also charged. He is in federal prison serving an eight-year term after being convicted two years ago of conducting an illegal lottery in Gary.

The case will be tried before U.S. District Judge James T. Moody.

9 comments:

  1. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your
    weblog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around
    your blog posts. After all I wil be subscribing to
    your feed and I am hoping you write once more very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this awesome article. I'm a
    long time reader but I've never been compelled to leave a comment.
    I subscribed to your blog and shared this on my Twitter.
    Thanks again for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice article, totally what I wass lŠ¾oking for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.
    I will always bookmark your blog and definitely will come back in the future.

    I want to encourage one to continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy I am so grateful I found your website, I really found you by error, while I
    was researching on Askjeeve for something else,
    Anyways I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a remarkable post and a all round exciting blog (I also love
    the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at
    the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read
    more, Please do keep up the fantastic jo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic goods from you, man. I have keep in mind your stuff prior to and you
    are simply too great. I actually like what you've bought right here, really like what you are stating and the
    way in which by which you assert it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it sensible.

    I can't wait to learn far more from you. That is actually a tremendous
    web site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I am so delighted I found your site, I really
    found you by mistake, while I was looking on Yahoo forr something else,
    Nonetheless I am here now aand would just like too say cheers for a marvelous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love thee theme/design), I
    don't have time to read through it all at the minute but I have
    bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so
    when I have time I will be back to read more, Pleasee
    do keep up the superb job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This info is invaluable. Where can I find out more?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous, what a website it is! This website goves useful information to us, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

08132023 - News Article - Former Portage Mayor James Snyder asks US Supreme Court to consider his case

  Former Portage Mayor James Snyder asks US Supreme Court to consider his case Chicago Tribune  Aug 13, 2023 https://www.chicagotribune.com/...