11042007 - News Article - Snyder: Why I want to be mayor of Portage - Guest Commentary by James Snyder



Snyder: Why I want to be mayor of Portage
Guest Commentary by James Snyder
NWI Times
James Snyder
Nov 4, 2007
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion/snyder-why-i-want-to-be-mayor-of-portage/article_19503590-695e-5e5a-819e-97499e6403f8.html
Having lived in Portage Township since age 12, I understand this area. I know the neighborhoods, the citizens of this area, the infrastructure. I appreciate Portage and think of this great city as my home.

For that reason, my wife, Deborah, and I made the decision to remain in Portage and raise our family here. We love it here!

Over the last few years Portage has grown rapidly, and that creates new challenges for our schools, for a health care system, for funds to pay for a growing community, as well as job creation and bringing quality businesses to the area.

It is because of the passion I have for the city of Portage, combined with the challenges I see sitting on Portage's doorstep, that I've decided to run for mayor. This is a great community, one that my children will grow up in, that I've worked in, and will continue to work in, and one that my wife and I have a great fondness for. It is for those reasons that I will work hard to create a quality of life for Portage citizens that is second to none.

As mayor, I would like to ensure that schools are not overcrowded and that students are receiving the quality education they deserve. After all, they are the future of this great city.

I also believe Portage needs, and deserves, a better recycling plan. With proper planning, recycling could save Portage $250,000 annually. With that money, we could be building sidewalks and maintaining our streets. This plan we will keep our garbage fees low and protect our environment at the same time.

In addition to that, I'd like to bring in a strong health care facility and strengthen our economy by encouraging more businesses to make Portage their home. I want Portage to be a city that encourages its citizens to become more actively involved with their city government. No citizen should ever be unpleasantly surprised by what their government has done to them, but should be celebrating what their government is doing with them and for them.

Finally, we must wean our dependence on property taxes. This will require exploring other means by which to shift from our reliance on property taxes. We must first critically evaluate every policy, every procedure and every activity to assure our government and its services are as efficient and effective as possible. Our goal must be zero-waste government.

No comments:

Post a Comment

08132023 - News Article - Former Portage Mayor James Snyder asks US Supreme Court to consider his case

  Former Portage Mayor James Snyder asks US Supreme Court to consider his case Chicago Tribune  Aug 13, 2023 https://www.chicagotribune.com/...